Re: [stella] 2600 adaptor for the coleco...

Subject: Re: [stella] 2600 adaptor for the coleco...
From: "Peter Pachla" <peter.pachla@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 16:00:17 -0000
Hi Dan,

  >> Is the RIOT an off-the-shelf component?
  >
  >The RIOT is an off the shelf component, but I believe Atari was the
  >only company to call it "RIOT"....

Actually RIOT is the correct "name" for the 6532 - many peripheral chips have
such names in addition to their part numbers.

  >....It's actually a 6532 and was also used in a number of Atari
  >and non-Atari arcade games.

Yep, the chip was pretty widely used in the early '80s - the combination of
RAM, I/O and Timers made very compact systems possible at a reasonable price.

Atari used 6532s in some of their peripherals for their 8-bit computers, most
notably the 810 disc drive and I think the 1050 too.

  TTFN - Pete.

--
Hardware & Software Engineer. Sound Engineer.
Collector of Arcade Machines, Games Consoles & Obsolete Computers (esp DEC)

peter.pachla@xxxxxxxxxx (primary account) | ICQ# 12560790
peter.pachla@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx      |
peter.pachla@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx            |
peter.pachla@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx | www.wintermute.free-online.co.uk