Re: [stella] Solaris Source Code

Subject: Re: [stella] Solaris Source Code
From: Glenn Saunders <cybpunks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 1999 18:33:04 -0700
At 10:09 AM 4/19/99 -0500, you wrote:
>	Just wanted everyone here to know that I have put the source code to
>Solaris up on my webpage.  Thanks to Glenn for sending me a printout of the
>listing!  I used Distella to disassemble each bank of the game, then I went
>to work applying all of the variable names and comments.  The result is a
>very authentic listing that compiles with dasm v2.12 (not 2.02 - you get a
>memory error).  I actually finished this quite a while ago, but haven't
>bothered to put it up on my webpage until last Friday.  I hope it serves as
>a valuable tool for learning about the inner-workings of the 2600.

I originally wanted to be pretty low-key about this, but I no longer mind
being open about it.

I do feel Solaris is the most technically advanced 2600 game ever.  It's
worth everyone's while to study the source-code.  Most of the source code
floating around is from games like Freeway or Adventure.  Good for the
beginner, but not a good example of the more advanced things you can do
with the 2600.  If you study Solaris, you'll truly understand what the
upper bounds of the 2600's capabilities are.

Doug Neubauer supplied the source code to me as a fading dot-matrix
printout but he was too worried about the rights to send me an electronic
version of the source code.  (He developed this on a PC so he has floppies
that are readable.)  (BTW, Doug maintains the copyright to Solaris.  Atari
only had an exclusive usage contract, which is why Doug was developing an
NES 8-bit port at one time.)  I don't think it was in a format that could
be reassembled directly by DASM, so it took a lot of work on Bob's part to
transcribe and convert everything and then verify it.

Enjoy.

== Glenn Saunders  --3D Graphics / Videography / Web development--        ==
== krishna@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx      http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/1698 ==
== Stella@20 video page         http://users.cnmnetwork.com/~krishna
 ==