[stella] Some thoughts that hit me while the power was out

Subject: [stella] Some thoughts that hit me while the power was out
From: Pete Holland <petehollandjr@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 13:20:21 -0700 (PDT)
Some questions occured to me yesterday, and I figured I'd run them past
you guys.
1)  I just got Astroblast (or Astrosmash to us purists) for my 2600.
As I looked over the instruction manual, it mentions that it can be
played with either the joystick or paddles.  Now, my Saturn can
distinguish between different controllers that get plugged in even
while running a program, but the Atari doesn't have any "identifiers"
that I'm aware of.  How does the game know which controller is plugged
in so it can respond properly?
2)  I read that the Tempest game for the Atari 2600 used the joystick.
It seems that, if any game was suited for those "Only One Use" driving
controlers, that was it.  Are there any games besides Indy 500/Race
that used the driving controllers?  Are there any games that would have
benefitted from using those controllers instead of whatever was
assigned?
3)  I have a bet with another video game nut on this one.  He says the
first third-party game for the Atari 2600 was Activision's Skiing.  I
say it was Outer Space by Sears...they may have licensed their stuff
from Atari, but as far as I know, Outer Space was never created by
Atari HQ, and qualifies as an actual third party title.  Are either of
us right, or is there another answer to this question and neither of us
wins the bet (a Big Mac at Micky D's)?
4)  I was told (don't ask me where, I don't remember) that Doom on my
Atari Jaguar is a link game--if you know somebody with another Jaguar,
another copy of Doom, another TV, and a link cable to join the two
Jaguar units, you can both play Doom with seperate TV's, like on a
local computer network.  This makes me wonder about the Atari 2600.  Is
it feasible (or possible) to make an Atari cart along these lines:  the
cart has a nine-pin connector plug on the end.  You take a Sega Genesis
controller extension cord (since it also uses the nine-pin layout) and
plug the socket into the cartridge on your unit and the plug in the
right controller jack of your pal's Atari.  You then do something
simillar with his cartidge and your Atari.  You then have a "link"
set-up.  Just think!  "Dark Chambers" is no longer limited to keeping
both players on the same screen!  How does that sound?