Re: [stella] Some thoughts that hit me while the power was out

Subject: Re: [stella] Some thoughts that hit me while the power was out
From: Tennessee Carmel-Veilleux <veilleux@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 22:03:10 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 20 May 1999, Ruffin Bailey wrote:

> With the Atari, I'm going to go out on a limb and say yes, you could.  The
> Stella manual talks about using the joyports as output, so that's one
> hurdle crossed.  There was a game for the Sega Genesis called Zero
> Tolerence that used a cable similar to the one of which you speak, but you
> had to hack the cable so that some wires switched places between consoles.
> I doubt the Atari would be much tougher.

The 2600 uses all off-the shelf part (almost) and the RIOT chip (6532) is not
an exception. The 6532 has *2* 8-bits I/O ports similar to the 6522. The nice
thing about this particular design is that you can assign pins as input AND
output on the same port simulteaneously through a register. That means that
you can assign some pins as input, and some as outputs. This is a very neat
feature as you can use one port and transfer data using 4 bits for each side.
Data transfer would be serial and could include a simple form of
"handshaking".

	Regards,

--
Tennessee Carmel-Veilleux (Coordonator of Digital Meltdown)
veilleux@xxxxxxxxx (www.ameth.org/~veilleux) ICQ ID : 8604827