Re: [stella] horizontal positioning

Subject: Re: [stella] horizontal positioning
From: "John K. Harvey" <jkharvey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 23:43:25 -0500
>okay, now do i have to use HMOVE for every scan line, or can i just activate
>it
>once per frame?

Depends what you want to do   If you only have ONE object of each type that
needs to be moved (i.e. a player0 graphic), and you want to move it left or
right, you only need to strobe HMOVE once per frame.  However, if you had
two Player0 graphics at different vertical positions, and you wanted them
to move in different directions, or if you only wanted one to move, you
would have to change its corresponding register (which would be HMP0) and
then strobe HMOVE after the next WSYNC in order to store the changed
contents of that register (HMP0).
	If I only utilize one sprite, I usually just strobe HMOVE once per frame
after the first WSYNC before the scanloop (assuming you are using Nick N.
Bensema's ideal playfield as a model)
	If multiple sprites are used on different scanlines, you have a new
problem to deal with--  those ugly black HMOVE lines on the left side of
the screen.  I guess they are "classic", but they are still a pain.

	-John k. Harvey