Re: [stella] that supercharger thingy

Subject: Re: [stella] that supercharger thingy
From: Glenn Saunders <cybpunks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 19:18:07 -0700
At 02:42 PM 5/30/99 -0700, you wrote:
>2. does anything need to be written in the extra 2K for either 4K roms
>or supercharger games, or is that merely used as extra ram?

The Supercharger has a total of 6K RAM in three 2K chunks.  In multiload
games, I believe 2K is preserved and 4K is swapped in and out.  Otherwise
you can load and use the full 6K at once, I assume through some form of
banking since the 2600 can only read 4K at a time (though I heard once that
some weird custom addressing scheme could allow for 6K without banks).

>4. is there any way of saving data at all on the supercharger for later
>sessions?

Not for later sessions, just for one play session but multiple loads.  When
chunks of memory will get overwritten and which will be left alone, a very
powerful feature.

Theoretically, then, you can have a game with hundreds of waves in separate
program modules and preserve your score, inventory, and other details as
you progress, the equivalent of hundreds of K of banked ROM.  It's just not
instantly accessible...

== Glenn Saunders  --3D Graphics / Videography / Web development--        ==
== krishna@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/1698      ==
== Cyberpunks homepage      http://cyberpunks.atari.org	                 ==