Re: [stella] Read/Write bus timings...

Subject: Re: [stella] Read/Write bus timings...
From: Chris Wilkson <ecwilkso@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 12:08:01 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 14 Jun 1999, Mark De Smet wrote:

> The stella manual has nice timing diagrams indicating the read and write
> bus cycles, but they are missing the actual pulse widths and such.  I know
> that the stella manual was intended for software people to understand...

Damned software guys...makin' the world a colder place. :)

> General question:  Does anyone know the timing numbers, such as the setup
> time for data in a read, and the hold time after the clock edge?  What
> about the bus cycle time?(1/4, 1/2 of clock?)

I could probably scope them out for you, but it might take a while.
I have 7 "official" project ahead of this one, though it's straight
forward enough that it might get a temporarily higher spot in the
queue... ;)

> Specifcally, how fast does an eprom need to be to be used on the bus(in a
> cart)?  Is 450ns fast enough?

That's probably fast enough, if you're not wasting time decoding
addresses, creating write pulses, and such.  But I would recommend
250ns as a slow-end maximum.  150ns parts (even 100ns!) are pretty
cheap these days.

> What speeds have people used?

I have used 250ns 2716's and 2732's.  I use 150ns parts in the 16k
boards...

-Chris