Re: [stella] Color clocks

Subject: Re: [stella] Color clocks
From: Phillip Powers <nakedman@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 15:54:32 -0400
Pete Holland wrote:

> Like I said...you guys explain things clearer than the Stella
> manual....
>      I'm having some difficulty understanding the concept of "color
> clocks."  As near as I can figure, a color clock is the segment of the
> line the Atari draws out.  It takes each line and draws it in sections,
> starting left and going right.  It reads a certain number of bits from
> memory and draws it out, then reads the next set, and so on, and each
> of these is called "clock counts."  This doesn't seem right to me,
> though.  Can anyone help explain this to me?

Greetings,

Color clocks are what they call time measured by the TIA's clock (which is 3
times faster than the 6507) Basically, one machine (CPU) clock = 3 color
(TIA) clocks. Therefore, if an instruction takes 2 CPU clock cycles it will
take 6 COLOR clocks. The length of each scan line is measured in color
clocks, because the TIA controls the television. Each scanline has 228 color
clocks in it, or 76 CPU clocks. Hope that helps.

Phillip