Re: [stella] Networkable Atari.

Subject: Re: [stella] Networkable Atari.
From: slapdash@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Russ Perry Jr)
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 01:13:04 -0600
Quick aside before I start...  Does anyone know where one can buy the
Demo Units and how much they're going for these days?  Since Kevin
fixed mine, I guess I don't need one, but I might like to have one
with the label and top cover...

At 8:45 AM 07/13/99, Piero Cavina wrote:
>Instead of writing an emulator for this unit, which might take time, why
>not run it on a 2600 into a PC with a video card and save the movie to disk?

Why write a 2600 emulator when you can play games on a real system?
Besides a true emulator should be able to emulate EVERYTHING the real
thing can do, right? :-)

At 2:25 PM 07/13/99, Eckhard Stolberg wrote:
>What I'm wondering is if it would be possible to replace the joystick
>port loading routine with a call of the SC tape loading routine. It
>wouldn't be quite the same, but at least you could run the demo on
>every SC without the extra hardware.

And therefore possibly put the demo on CD...  Man, does anyone feel up
to the challenge?  And how exactly would this affect the demo -- i.e.
does it do "smart loads" now, or would the delays of loading via sound
rather than port data be "odd"?

At 3:21 PM 07/13/99, Chris Wilkson wrote:
>On Tue, 13 Jul 1999, Eckhard Stolberg wrote:
>> What I'm wondering is if it would be possible to replace the joystick
>> port loading routine with a call of the SC tape loading routine.

>Well, that should be doable.  But given the movie in a rom, I don't think
>the hardware would be that tough.

But can we do it in just software?  If we wanted hardware, we could just
reproduce the Demo Unit.

At 11:24 PM 07/13/99, Kevin Horton wrote:
>At 12:16 AM 7/13/99 -0600, Russ Perry wrote:
>>So the demo movie is 64K of data, but it's loaded as 4(6?)K at a time?

>It's more complicated than that.  You can load data non-sequentially from
>the EPROMs, in increments of 64 bytes.

Can perhaps, but DO they ever do that?  It sounds like maybe they do, since
you mention it...

||  Russ Perry Jr   2175 S Tonne Dr #105   Arlington Hts IL 60005  ||
||  847-952-9729    slapdash@xxxxxxxxxxxx    VIDEOGAME COLLECTOR!  ||