Re: [stella] atari controllers on the PC

Subject: Re: [stella] atari controllers on the PC
From: Chris Wilkson <ecwilkso@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 13:57:29 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 13 Jul 1999, Glenn Saunders wrote:

> This is a natural issue to follow the release of a commercial emulation.  I
> know that there is something out there that does this for the
> Intellivision, so let me just say that if anyone out there wanted to rig
> something with us that would be convenient and DirectInput compatible,
> please let us know, something that can be sold already-assembled.

What is DirectInput?

> We'll partner up on it.
>
> Ideally, it should support all controller types (okay, maybe not the
> keypad) with two ports on it.  Parallel isn't really a good solution.  It
> would be better if it used the 15-pin controller port on sound cards or USB.

Why not parallel?  I would go with the gameport.  Not everyone has USB yet.
But what idiot plays arcade games on his PC without a gameport???? :)

> Whoever does this should be able to write the drivers in such a way that
> they could be used with other emulators like Atari Arcade Classics 1, so
> the market could be pretty decent.

I could do the hardware.  Already have in fact...in bits and pieces.  I can
write demo drivers in x86 ASM, but I have no clue when it comes to Windows
programming.  Somebody wanna help out here, and write code based on the
demo drivers?

Also, I don't think there's any way for this to happen by the end of 1999.
I don't have enough time.