[stella] Intellivision Lives to release M Player games

Subject: [stella] Intellivision Lives to release M Player games
From: Ruffin Bailey <rufbo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 99 08:34:14 -0000
My all-time favorite game on the Intellivision was Sea Battle, and when
perusing the Intellivision Lives web site to see if that game was on
their groovy CD, I saw that there was a version called High Seas for the
2600 that was never released "due to poor testing".  I asked if there was
any chance to perform some "data rescue" on the binary.  Here's the reply
(sorry if this is old news to anyone):

>We plan to do a follow-up to the Intellivision Lives! CDROM that will
>feature released and unreleased M Network games, along with their
>development histories. Assuming we have a working prototype in our archives
>(one is logged in, but it hasn't been tested yet), High Seas will be
>included.
>
>We simply know that Marketing killed High Seas after doing some market
>tests. They weren't happy with the results, but we don't have a record of
>what the results were. The game could have tested poorly because (1) people
>didn't think it was fun to play, (2) in a TV commercial or print ad, the
>game didn't LOOK fun to play and/or (3) it was a two-player-only game (a
>one-player option became increasingly more important sales-wise from
>late-1982 -- nothing we released from that time on didn't have a one-player
>mode).
>
>-----
>Intellivision Productions, Inc.
>http://www.intellivisionlives.com

Sounds good to me!

Ruffin Bailey            |    Write Atari 2600 games on your PPC Mac!
rufbo at bellsouth.net   |    http://members.aol.com/mactari
-- Games Article author http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/games --