[stella] Voice Synthesis

Subject: [stella] Voice Synthesis
From: Russell Babylon <babylon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 21:15:02 -0400
Does anyone have any suggestions of how to record a digitized voice
sample for replay on the 2600?  With only 16 sample values you are
somewhat restricted.  Back in the mid 1980's I remember building a
device for my Atari 8 bit computer that allowed you to record sampled
sound and to play it back.  It worked very well and was a big hit on the
local bulletin boards.  It was called Ramtalker I believe but I have
lost the information on it.  Since the Atari 8 bit computer uses the
same audio volume technique as the 2600 the sampled sound files from
Ramtalker should be useable on the 2600.  I have been playing with 8 bit
WAV files recorded on the PC but I have not had any luck manipulating
them to play on the 2600.  Any comments or suggestions?

Russ Babylon