Re: [stella] Are 7800 demos legal???

Subject: Re: [stella] Are 7800 demos legal???
From: Chris Wilkson <ecwilkso@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 21:50:17 -0500 (EST)
> Actually, would copying the encryption key be moot anyway?  It was my
> understanding that the key was based on the rest of the image, so it
> would vary for each game, and copying it would do you no good.  Or did
> the dev sys have a more universal key, or some way around that?

It's my understanding that the key is generated from the (top?) 4K of the
final game image, and that the console checks the key against this 4k rom
block.  So if you take a working 4k block/key pair and then simply JMP away,
you've beaten it...at the expense of wasting 4k of your rom space.

Anyone verify this?

-Chris