Re: [stella] Are 7800 demos legal???

Subject: Re: [stella] Are 7800 demos legal???
From: Glenn Saunders <cybpunks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 17:52:55 -0800
At 07:40 PM 11/23/99 -0700, you wrote:
something unless it has real commercial value.  Anyone who thinks the
Atari 7800 or its software has remaining commercial value is seriously

Action Pack sold well over 100,000 units. More recently, Activision Classics sold close to a half a million units. Intellivision Classics is in the stores now. Commercial console emulation isn't dead yet.

If you got to Atari Interactive's message board, there has already been an informal (but very important) announcement that there will be a redux of Star Raiders complete with an emulated version. So people do care about emulating other old Atari hardware, in this case the 8-bits/5200. There is no reason to think Hasbro will not offer a 2600 emulation package down the road, and perhaps as part of that or in one volume, also develop a 7800 emulator.

Although Hasbro does not actively prosecute ROM sites, they'd have the right to do so if the litmus test were the commercial viability of the properties in question. Given the visibility of Cyberpunks and Stellalist in the retro community (and the industry in general: Arcade Party Pak now out contains interviews produced by us), we need to be strict regarding binary postings here.

I say post your new demos.  The 7800 owners on the list will enjoy them,
and nobody's going to sue you.

Although I don't agree with your larger argument about all games being de facto freeware, I do agree that this particular code is okay to post.

Glenn Saunders - Producer - Cyberpunks Entertainment Personal homepage: http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/1698 Cyberpunks Entertainment: http://cyberpunks.uni.cc

-- Archives (includes files) at http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/archives/ Unsub & more at http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/