Re: [stella] 7800 programs -- potential problems?

Subject: Re: [stella] 7800 programs -- potential problems?
From: Tennessee Carmel-Veilleux <veilleux@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 11:06:23 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 19 Jan 2000, Chris Wilkson wrote:

> I was probably one of the people who said "don't do it".  I stand by that.
> Even for you, Kevin.  :P
>
> Seriously, now...why go to all that trouble?  Why not just replace the rom
> with a non-domestic chip?  I'm not as knowledgable about the 7800...is there
> any reason that this is difficult, other than acquiring a European chip?

The main reason would be that a 74LS/HC244 costs less than 75 cents, is
installed easily, and could work. I have made my electronic equipment suffer
FAR MORE than what a 74LS244 does to a bus, and they still work. Old
electronics means tough electronics. Those things are pretty durable, and
NMOS isn't that fickly on I/O shorts/races unless you send a voltage much
larger than 5V on the lines. Actually, isn't bus conflict a little like that
? And yet it doesn't seem to affect anything when you do bus conflict with
the wrong 'fix-up' value in the ROM on a homemade cart (dunno about the
Atari, but on the NES, it doesn't do any form of damage that I know of).

	Regards,

--
Tennessee Carmel-Veilleux (Coordonator of Digital Meltdown)
veilleux@xxxxxxxxx (www.ameth.org/~veilleux) ICQ ID : 8604827