Re: [stella] Interest Query...

Subject: Re: [stella] Interest Query...
From: Rob <kudla@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 12:58:56 -0500
At 11:32 PM 2/23/00 , Glenn Saunders wrote:
>What about a laptop?  Actually, anyone who gets a ROM image off the net
>they'd like to use with the 2600 is going to run into the same problems.  I
>think it's way more inconvenient to have to burn an EPROM to run the image
>on the 2600 than it is to load it into the 2600 through the computer
>(either to the supercharger or this device).

If the RAM were battery-backed, I think that would make a nice compromise.
Not being a hardware guy I wouldn't know what's involved in that though, or
even if it's possible for an Atari device.  Certainly though, this would be
a small-market item (a niche within a niche within a niche), moreso than
the Supercharger which also has nostalgia value in addition to its
developmental uses.

Anyway, I'd buy it for 70 bucks just to be able to test 8K projects on a
real 2600.

>I for one do not think emulators replace the real thing.  They just aren't
>good enough yet, especially in the sound department, and you need a really
>fast PC to get all games to run at 1:1 speed.  Some games are a tad slow on
>my PII350, not to mention that I can't get 4 paddles hooked up to my

Windows is a hog.  I've played 2600 games at full speed on a P100, in
Stella under pure DOS.  On my P2-400 running Win98, it stutters and slows
down at random.  The colors and sound are a tiny bit off in all the
emulators, though.  I never believed it but it's true.  Playing through a
TV out card helps compensate for it a little.

>PC.  I'm sure good joysticks are available, but my analog stick for my PC
>doesn't compare to my Wico stick for the 2600.

The controller situation is a killer.  Every game I've ever played is more
fun using a blister-inducing black and orange Atari joystick.  I think I've
heard of 2600-to-PC-joystick shims but I haven't got one yet.  No PC
joystick I've tried is worth anything, though I'm tempted to get one of
those real arcade sticks for the living room.

Rob

Rob ... kudla@xxxxxxxxx ... http://kudla.org/raindog