Re: [stella] Interest Query...

Subject: Re: [stella] Interest Query...
From: Pete Holland <petehollandjr@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 13:50:35 -0800 (PST)
--- Mark De Smet <de-smet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Would you/anyone buy it for $70 if it included an
> advanced game?

Let's see...you're asking a gadget freak who used to
have a ROB the Video Robot (but no NES to use it with)
just because it was "neat" if he would buy it.  I'm
guessing yes, but I would need advance warning of when
it comes out.  I wouldn't want the device out for only
about a month, and it's the month my car insurance is
due.

> Would you program games for it(using advanced
> features) ?

Well, that's a bit trickier.  I'm not sure how
practical it would be.  This would have a very limited
audience, and I can't see most people buying it when
they can use an Atari emulator that does everything
and doesn't cost a dime.  For stuff to circulate among
our own little group, sure.  But actual development?
I'm not sure I see that happening.

I also question the wisdom of a computer interface for
in the bedroom, and I ain't paying for the extra long
cord (gadget freak or no, I don't have a Palm
Computer, so that idea's out).  Maybe set it with a
switch so either format could be used.

If you are looking for suggestions of features, here's
a few to stick in your brain filter and percolate.

1) A "slow motion" feature.  I mean real slow.  If
this is potentially a development tool, slowing
everything down so us programmers can see the screen
actually being drawn (so we can see it the way the
Atari does) would be helpful.

2) A NTSC/PAL switch, so I can try a couple of things
from other countries (like Snail Against Squirrel).

3) If you really want a design idea that will give you
nightmares, how about a earphone plug like the regular
Supercharger, but as the track on the CD plays, it
produces some crude (but possibly effective) FMV
and/or direct audio from the disc.  (I believe Coleco
had a toy like this, only it was a tape player that
started and stopped at certain points in games.)  The
pairing of this and, say, "Dark Mage" makes me grin.