Re: [stella] Hardware comparisons

Subject: Re: [stella] Hardware comparisons
From: Glenn Saunders <cybpunks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 22:05:00 -0700
At 02:15 PM 4/26/00 +0200, you wrote:
Ah yes. However, Wing Commander is a simulation game. I think on the Amiga,
there were already enough hardware ressources to make the game programmers
not bother that much about low-level-programming like on the 2600. On the

Wing Commander does have some of the best Amiga music I've ever heard, however. It acheived nearly symphonic levels with those 4 8-bit voices.

you can get nearly all of those better effects by writing Copper lists,
which is the "official" way to do such things. So... basically, things

However, as far as the eurodemo scene goes, the Amiga was always a popular platform for hacky graphics.

So... in the end you get the same CPU speed as on the 2600, with the
difference that the custom chips will do much more additional work for you.

I'm not sure I would classify it that way. Can't the CPU perform any meaningful calculations while the image is being drawn? I realize that the processor is halted by ANTIC, but doesn't ANTIC/GTIA memory to load up all the registers for the entire scanline and then free up the bus for the 6502 to process while the line is actually being drawn (i.e. parallel processing, in effect)? On the 2600, the 6507 rarely has enough free cycles to perform number crunching duties during the active portion of the screen.

Also, on the TMS-9918 systems, this runs different. The video chip always
has its own memory and reads from there, not ever halting the CPU. On the

Isn't this more akin to today's graphics chip systems?

Glenn Saunders - Producer - Cyberpunks Entertainment
Personal homepage: http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/1698
Cyberpunks Entertainment: http://cyberpunks.uni.cc

-- Archives (includes files) at http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/archives/ Unsub & more at http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/