Re: [stella] Hardware comparisons

Subject: Re: [stella] Hardware comparisons
From: Glenn Saunders <cybpunks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 22:11:14 -0700
At 06:49 PM 4/26/00 -0500, you wrote:
I have absolutely no idea what you mean by this. Any graphics mode request
to the O.S. is going to be automatically truncated to an integer, and if
it's greater than 16, I believe that gets AND'ed off as well. Maybe you're
thinking of the extra recognized modes added to the XL/XE O.S.?

It could be, since I've only ever owned XLs and XEs, but I played around with this a heck of a lot in ATARIBASIC. I'm not talking about just mode 7.5, but I tried all sorts of wacky numbers into the three digits. This appears to twiddle bits in the Atari that were not meant to be twiddled.

Nothing really strange about it once you realize that the GTIA modes are, in

Not from today's perspective, but as you recall, these things were never well documented. Even De Re Atari doesn't go into this sort of thing, as I recall. It was quite a novelty to me when I first started playing around with it. If you do it right in AtariBasic, you can screw up the display so that the editor itself has GTIA overlayed on top of it and you can list your program and it looks really strange.

Glenn Saunders - Producer - Cyberpunks Entertainment Personal homepage: http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/1698 Cyberpunks Entertainment: http://cyberpunks.uni.cc

-- Archives (includes files) at http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/archives/ Unsub & more at http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/