Re: [stella] Hardware comparisons

Subject: Re: [stella] Hardware comparisons
From: Pete Holland <petehollandjr@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 13:14:26 -0700 (PDT)
Sorry for tapping your brain like this, but I just
have to know.

--- Glenn Saunders <cybpunks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> At 05:36 PM 4/26/00 -0700, you wrote:
> By overdesigned, I mean they threw in
> two kitchen sinks when
> one would have been just fine, and in the process,
> one of them rarely gets used.  In other words, an
> overabundance of hardware doesn't mean an
> overabundance of performance unless the hardware is
> very carefully  integrated.  Multiprocessor systems
> require careful design in order to avoid so much bus

> contention that they cancel each other out.
>
> So developers hated the 2nd CPU because it was a
> pain in the ass to wrench
> the extra performance out of it that they needed.
> So very few took good
> advantage of it.  I think VF2 was one of those.

What about my 32X?  According to some tech specs I
skimmed off the 'Net, it also has twin processors
under its hood.  Admittedly, the sound was no real
improvement and all it did up the Genny to the level
of, say, a Super FX game on the SNES, but I'm
wondering if that part of the system design actually
was integrated properly, or not like the Saturn and
Jaguar?