Re: [stella] Hardware comparisons

Subject: Re: [stella] Hardware comparisons
From: Ruffin Bailey <rufbo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 21:14:45 -0700
on 4/27/00 5:37 PM, Pete Holland at petehollandjr@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> From what I read, you scored a bullseye.  Consumers
> wondered why they should spend the money on a 32X when
> the Saturn was less than a year away (I think it was 9
> monhts).  I am a dyed-in-the-wool Sega-phile.  I have
> almost all the 2600 games except Up'N Down, and every
> system except the Game Gear.  From my perspective,
> Sega wasn't coming out with anything that set the
> world on fire;  it was more like they were killing
> time.  (Not to turn this into a plug, but) I have a
> web site that features a list of 32X games that I have
> and reviews and, aside from "Shadow Squadron" and
> "Metal Head," there really wasn't that couldn't be
> done on the regular Genny, making the whole project
> seem kind of "What's the point?"

Okay, I know, we've strayed so far from the 2600 I should be whipped with a
wet noodle, but I have to add that there actually were a few more games that
highlighted the power of the 32X.  I really wish that the $40 new Genesis
systems that places like Toys R Us are selling could have included a
"built-in" 32X chipset like the rumored but never made Sega "Neptune" (I
don't know how legit that info is, but I remember reading it online and
thinking the idea was pretty cool).

Anyhow, the two examples are Virtua Fighter and Star Wars.  VF was a dead
ringer for the coin-op minus a few polys.  It was absolutely incredible, and
I wish I hadn't have sold my 32X in an auction a while back and still had
this game.  Absolutely stellar, and as the ill-fated Genesis version of VF2
showed, there was no way you could get that from the Genesis alone.  Far and
away the most impressive game that was ever played on my Genesis.

Star Wars was incredible in its graphics, particularly the opening FMV.
Wow.  I started playing Star Wars on my VCR at the same time, and flicking
back and forth.  The video from the 32X was something to watch, though
slightly less a something to play.   (What was Admiral Akbar smokin',
anyway?)

Backwards compatibility is really something that attracts me to systems.
The 7800 is a great machine, the new "Game Boy Advance" is going to have the
old GB sound chip in the board just to play the older games, and I'm
impressed that the PS2 is going to play the old games (that didn't directly
access the PSX hardware).  And that just about wraps up the gamut of how
successful bkwds compat systems can be.  32X -- not at all.  7800 --
moderately.  Game Boy Color -- incredibly successful.  PS2 and GBA -- jury's
not even selected yet.

It could even be said that my iMac DV is backwards compatible with my Atari
2600 and Commodore 64!

Another random 2¢ from...

Ruffin Bailey