Re: [stella] Hardware comparisons

Subject: Re: [stella] Hardware comparisons
From: Pete Holland <petehollandjr@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 16:50:22 -0700 (PDT)
--- Scott Huggins <sub17_5k@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have an idea.  Why don't we talk about a home
> video
> gaming system known as the Atari 2600 since we are
> ON
> STELLA LIST?

For a change of pace, I am going to use reason instead
of being my usual sarcastic self.  Mark your
calendars, this doesn't happen often.

Actually, in a roundabout way, this does concern the
2600.  This is primarily for programming, true, but
part of that includes hardware development
(bankswitching, Version 2 Superchargers, etc.)
Discussing things that happen on other systems, like
my query about the 32X, not only helps should we be
doing something and think, "Hey, I wonder if that can
work on the 2600," but also helps us understand the
hardware and, for those of us whose dream it is to
make games and at least attempt to market them,
understand what makes some things work so they are
bought and what aren't.  Conversation of this sort is
vital to creativity.

Okay, supposing you buy all of the above, and were
willing to stomach all the discussions about multiple
processors and the bus and such as, however
tangentally, connected to 2600 programming and
development.  "But asking about the price of N64 stuff
is completely off topic."  That's true, but come on.
Conversation wanders, and it's not like he was filling
up mailboxes.  Maybe it was a breach of protocol, but
easily corrected if it needs to be.  I didn't see much
else posted by him.  Maybe he's new and, like I did
once, needs to learn what is allowable and what isn't.
 I think one time can be overlooked.

One last thing:  this list is participatory.  If you
feel we aren't discussing the 2600 enough, don't just
complain.  Create a topic that you feel fits.  This
list is chatty and people will participate.