2600 disk drive? was:[stella] Hardware comparisons

Subject: 2600 disk drive? was:[stella] Hardware comparisons
From: Zube <Zube@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 21:26:31 -0600
I guess it's time I chimed in.

As I told the author of the previous message (by email), links to the
scans from the Radio Electronics article are at:

http://www.cs.colostate.edu/~dzubera/2600faq.html#gamerec

There are 12 pages, each a 300K or so jpg file.

It does require some custom parts.  I have never built one, nor has
anyone ever contacted me saying that he/she has built one, despite my
plea in the 2600/7800 FAQ.

On Mon May 01 03:22:47 PM, Pete Holland wrote:

>      Anyhoo, just before the market crashed, I saw a
> picture of a device and read a short blurb about what
> may have been a disk drive for the 2600.  One end
> plugged into the 2600 cartridge slot.  You programmed
> some stuff on an Atari computer (I guess a 400 or 800,
> uncertain) and put it on a 5 1/4" floppy (remember
> when those were a big deal, kids?).  You then put the
> floppy in this device, and it would run the program on
> the 2600.

It took me a while to find, but on the last page of the last issue
of Joystik magazine (Dec 1983) in the Technocracy section, there is
this:

*****
Reads May Be Right

If you've got a great game idea that you'd like to turn into reality
(and real money), then maybe the Reads 2600, by VSS Inc., will help you
along the road to riches.  This freestanding piece of hardware allows
you to design VCS games by using the program development capabilities
of your Atari 800 computer.

The unit connects to the computer through the joystick ports and to the
VCS through the cartridge adapter.  Your game program, stored on a
cassette or diskette, is downloaded to the Reads 2600 and executed by
the VCS for viewing.

You can develop games in the industry standard of 4K bytes, or more
sophisticated games in 8K bytes by using the bank selection mechanism
in the unit.  The software can then be programmed onto EPROMS and made
into cartridges for your viewing or selling pleasure.

For $795 you'll receive the complete Reads 2600 package.  This includes
instructions, 8K byte ROM emulator, Atari 800 connector cable, VCS
cartridge adaptor with connector cable, and execution and discovery
software.

One of the many available accessories is an 8K byte cartridge adaptor
for development of Vic-20 games using the Reads 2600.
*****

Of course, this is a complete development system, not a disk drive for
the 2600.  Is this the bit you recall or am I way off the mark?

Cheers,
Zube