[stella] Chess RAM usage

Subject: [stella] Chess RAM usage
From: Glenn Saunders <cybpunks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 20:28:14 -0700
At 10:45 AM 6/21/2000 +1000, you wrote:
Why do you say (assume?) that Video Chess uses 64 bytes for board position?

Because the programmer indicated that's what he did. We should probably disassemble it with DiStella and see whether his recollections were correct or not.

Also bear in mind that he developed this in Fortran on a minicomputer or mainframe and then ported the algorithms to the VCS, so he may not have been thinking about sub-byte manipulations, and if he found out that he didn't have to do it in the end, then he probably didn't bother.

I could do it with 32 by simply having one byte for each PIECE, and

Theoretically for a VCS chess program, but not Video Chess.

There can be a maximum of 64 pieces in the game because the board setup allows you to put any piece you want on any square, no restrictions. That means you can have greater than 16 white or black pieces, and more than 32 pieces per board.

It would be an interesting challenge to see a new Chess kernel that is designed as an improvement in look as well as in efficiency over Video Chess.

Glenn Saunders - Producer - Cyberpunks Entertainment Personal homepage: http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/1698 Cyberpunks Entertainment: http://cyberpunks.uni.cc

-- Archives (includes files) at http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/archives/ Unsub & more at http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/