[stella] interlace

Subject: [stella] interlace
From: Glenn Saunders <cybpunks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 20:32:20 -0700
At 09:57 PM 6/21/2000 -0500, you wrote:
Fascinating, never knew that.  So the lines it draws are effectively
double the width(spaced out that way)?

Double the height, not width.

A regular NTSC signal flickers between frames because it is interlaced,
the only difference between that and frame flicker on the atari is that

There is no frame flicker on the Atari that I'm aware of. Only sprite flicker.

correct?  I am curious why vcs flicker is completely obvious, yet a
regular NTSC signal shows zero flicker.

The reason you don't notice NTSC flicker that much is because most shapes in live action video are not aligned with an individual field's individual scanline. The thinner the line, the worse the flicker, too.

However, on the Amiga, for instance, if you run it in interlaced NTSC mode, you'll see a LOT of flicker because you'll have many horizontal lines perfectly aligned with individual field scanlines. These lines will only show up on alternate fields, thus flickering.

This is also a problem with the new generation of game consoles like the Playstation 2 and Dreamcast which use interlacing for more resolution, but not quite as bad because most of these games are 3D and therefore you don't get those perfect horizontal lines quite as often.

FYI, I was able to do both.  Don't tell the FCC, but I connected the VCS
output to a directional VHF antenna, and pointed it at my tv's rabbit

Certainly every VCS's RF out breaks broadcast standards. It will get to the TV okay, but try recording the VCS signal to tape and then freezeframe it. I couldn't get that to work right on my $1000 Mitsubishi SVHS VCR.

Glenn Saunders - Producer - Cyberpunks Entertainment
Personal homepage: http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/1698
Cyberpunks Entertainment: http://cyberpunks.uni.cc

-- Archives (includes files) at http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/archives/ Unsub & more at http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/