[stella] Low power 2600 "superchip"

Subject: [stella] Low power 2600 "superchip"
From: "Ruffin Bailey" <rufbo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2000 10:14:05 -0400
> Since the TV-boy pirate chip isn't 100% compatible, it really
> would be nice
> to have enough of a grasp of the 2600 hardware to start fantasizing about
> reducing it down into a 100% compatible low-power single-chip
> system.  Hasbro might even be interested in that for a budget handheld
> device somewhere inbetween keychain games and the gameboy.

Every time this pipe dream comes up (and believe me, it's one of mine too),
it seems to always concentrate on the 2600.  But if you're going to go for a
truly market competitive handheld, I'd think you'd have to create a "7800
superchip", not just 2600.  The 7800 certainly had games that could push the
limits of a small LCD screen, and would still play most of our ole 2600
favs.

Though I realize no one's even close to making the "superchip" yet, I'd
still like to cast a vote for "7800 or bust".  Otherwise I think you create
a novel but relatively DOA system as far as future support and potential
audience.

Ruffin Bailey

PS  In case anyone was wondering about that site Glenn posted, the French
side said exactly the same thing the English side did.  Afaict.