Re: [stella] Thrust 1.0

Subject: Re: [stella] Thrust 1.0
From: "Thomas Jentzsch" <tjentzsch@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 09:15:37 +0200
Mark De Smet wrote:
>> I'm starting to wonder wether i should limit the rookie mode to some of
>> the first levels and/or only the first "factor". So everybody who wants to
>> see all of the game has to go the hard way and learn to fly the ship like
>> it was in the original c64 game.
>I think this is a good idea.  After checking out the normal skill level, I
>think it is doable.  You would have to have something to explain that you
>have to go to the normal level to see more levels.
I would add a notice in the manual. Do you think, i should also remove game
selection 2, so you never see the planets 7 and 8 in rookie mode?

>Perhaps after
>completing level 6 on rookie mode, you could put the player at level 1 of
>the normal mode and keep the old score.  I think this would add a lot of
>longevity to the game, and probably make people who pay the 20 or more US$
>for it more satisfied that they can get more play out of it.
I want to include reverse gravity in rookie mode too. So you have 12 missions
there. Automatic progress to a harder mode is a good idea. This would make
a total of 60 (12+24+24) missions.

>I guess the only possible problem with this is that it will make level 8
>impossible.  After mastering the movement with the tow bar and pod, I was
>able to complete level 8, but only after 20 or 30 lives and several hours
>of playing.  In normal mode, I find it highly unlikely that it would be
>possible.  Getting down is hard, but possible with practice, the problem
>is getting back up with the klystron pod.  The added swing that the pod
>does in normal mode would probably make it impossible.  Have you ever
>completed this level in normal mode?  Anyone else?
Yes i did (reverse gravity too), but i have a LOT of practice (since 1986 ;-).
If the sliding doors are the big problem, maybe this can help:
To go down, i scroll the screen (it scrolls more if you are flying faster in the
scrolling direction) so that the switch can just be seen (and hit) one the very
right. The rest is very fast and correct flying.
To go up, i use the same trick and position the ship directly under the door.
Are there any other special problems in that level?

>A question for you, is it alright that you can swing the pod (when attacted
>to the towbar) through the reactor?  I suspect it is because you are using
>collision detection, and are flickering the pod and reactor.  I mean it is
>alright, but was wondering if you knew about this.
I know, you can swing the pod through all other objects (except the playfield).
I'm not sure, if i can fix this.
In the original you also die when you hit your pod with your own shots.
This makes destroying the reactor much more difficult.
I hope i can add this feature.

>I was talking to a friend and was commenting on how it is hard to switch
>from thrusting normally to thrusting with shields because you have to
>thrust with a different button.  They suggested making the up directoin
>the fire button, and using the joystick button for the thrust, this way
>the button never changes what it is used for.  Had you ever considered
>this, or is it this way because the c64 did it this way?
No, the c64 version uses the keyboard, so you have plenty of keys there.
I was thinking about the control scheme you're suggesting. It would make
the controls more consistant, but i don't like to fire with joystick up,
because that way it's harder to rotate the ship exactly.
Maybe i should implement both schemes and let the user select the one
he prefers.

tjentzsch at web dot de |
IhrName@xxxxxx, 8MB Speicher, Verschluesselung - http://freemail.web.de