Re: [stella] Interlace

Subject: Re: [stella] Interlace
From: Mark De Smet <de-smet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 18:09:31 -0500 (CDT)
>  >>
> I tested some stuff with rsync to try to force the vcs into
> interlace mode(the normal tv scan type) to get higher vertical resolution,
> but was unsuccessful. I would loose the image because of what I was
> <<
>
> Were your tests 100% conclusive that the VCS can't be forced into interlace
> mode?

Not specifically.  I did however run out of ideas.  What I did was on odd
frames, I would wait until 1/2 a line later after the end of vertiacl
blank.  Then I would hit rsync.  I tried moving this around a little.

Now that I look back at the code, an uncertainty that i had was that the
rsync actually gets transformed into a signal that gets the tv to move to
the next line.  By doing this I had hoped to allow the beam to have gotten
half way down, then reseted, so that it would be one half of the lines
down to be the interlaced line.

All my trials ended up with a mess.  It wouldn't be a loss of vertical
sync, but the beam traced wasn't working correctly so nothing was properly
drawn, not even the even frames.

It didn't seem like there was much other intestest in doing this; but now
that you are writing a game, perhaps after doing your first game, you will
be able to give this stuff a try ;)

Mark