Re: [stella] I made it here, finally!

Subject: Re: [stella] I made it here, finally!
From: Mark De Smet <de-smet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 18:27:47 -0600 (CST)
> I'm new to the list, thought I introduce myself a bit in my first mail.
> It's only fair I think, since I know you all from the archives :-)

Welcome!  I hope you get addicated enough to stick around and write some
games!

> - In order to understand the basic concepts of doing this game on the
> Atari, I started to reverse-engineer 'Starmaster' being not only the

Unless you need a lot of examples on how sceens are drawn or code
structures(which it sounds like you have plenty of exerience), I would not
spend to much time reverse engineering code.  I think it would be more
efficient taking Bensema's "How to draw a playfield" or my basic
framework(which I believe is in the archive; Nick's is a better learning
tool) and playing around with it.  Compile it, see how it works, add a
player object, move it, update the playfield more, etc.  I think learning
by exeperience is much more useful.  Of course, this assumes that you have
read the stella programmers guide, and something about 6502 assembly.

> - I'm curious what other people on the list are currently working on,
> please tell me/us! (Uh... I said 'us' in my first mail...)

The current project that I've been working on, is what I'm calling Caves
2600.  It is a mimic of a game called SFCaves for the palm pilot.  I got
addicted to it playing with someone else's palm, but not owning one, I
figured it would be a good idea to make a 2600 game of it.(much more fun
than just buying a palm)  It is a horizontal scroller, making the kernal a
mess, which I'm having fun being driven crazy by.

I have not heard of other projects, anyone?

Of course, Thomas just released what I consider, IMHO, the second best VCS
game out there, second only to Pitfall2.

I'll look forward to hearing about your project.

Mark