Re: [stella] New game concept

Subject: Re: [stella] New game concept
From: Pete Holland <petehollandjr@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 13:15:20 -0800 (PST)
A thought about how the game could work struck me at
work.  This might engender some chuckles from the
experts here, but here goes.

A possibility is to draw the "disc" as a 48-bit mega
sprite as used in Dragster and Okie Dokie.
Individually animating the frames would keep them in
sync.  If I recall what Glenn said, the ball can be
drawn on multiple scanlines, which is how they get the
nifty star effects in Starmaster and the like.  Set
the playfield graphics for one color, and use the ball
graphics to draw the "needle" for reading the disc.
It would take a complete set of data to tell where the
track errors are, since collision detection would be
impossible.  It might look tiny, but it might be
possible.

Either that, or just use the megasprite to draw part
of the disc, like what is visible when you slide open
a floppy.  Similar rules might apply.

What do you think, sirs?