Re: [stella] Qb/Demo background animation (very rudimentary)

Subject: Re: [stella] Qb/Demo background animation (very rudimentary)
From: Manuel Polik <manuel.polik@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 12:54:08 +0100
Andrew Davie wrote:

> Attached: Just a quick demo I knocked up tonight... this was a test to see
> if large-scale animation of background graphics could be used to achieve a
> 2D version of a game I wrote yonks ago... "Qb".   In short, it can.  This
> demo shows 7 4x4 blocks being moved on the screen;  the actual onscreen code
> is negligible... just placing down the playfield.  Even the animation is
> pretty straightforward - I've slowed it down to the speed I'd like to use in
> my game.

Hi Andrew!

Looks cool! Say, will you please go more into the programing details?
Are you creating the PF data on the fly or is it brute (RAM) force like
the obstacles in Oulaw?
Just from looking at the demo, especially the way the blocks overlap,
I'd guess that you have the complete PLayfield in RAM and just XOR the
blocks, which renders the overlapping parts invisible, right?

Uhm.. on a second look it can't be that simple, since there's sometimes
lines missing from blocks... hm...

BTW: I always thought that Air Raid does a horizontal PF softscroll -
until I realized that it must be quadrupled sprites :-)

> I might have a play and see if I can do some more of the game, but no
> promises.  Thought the list would be interested in this (admittedly very
> rudimentary) demo.  The actual game I'm talking about can be seen at...
> http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~aaronat/qb.html

Hey, that's funny. Holmes is one of my favourite Web places and I read
that article about QB before, not realising that the programmer (you)
are here on the list, too. Cool game, hopefully it works out.

Greetings,
	Manuel

-