Re: [stella] Jumpman gets a go!

Subject: Re: [stella] Jumpman gets a go!
From: Glenn Saunders <cybpunks@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 21:27:19 -0800
At 11:04 PM 2/11/2001 -0500, you wrote:
Good point(s).  There is a certain ease to developing in this manner.
Also in playing the games.  Plus...the Supercharger is just plain *cool*.
But what about the people who don't have a supercharger?  Or people who
want to have a portable 2600?  Or "purists" who insist that you shouldn't
need a full blown PC just to get your Atari to work.

If it's on a CD then it's portable. Even if it isn't shipped on a CD you can burn your own CD-R and make it portable.

I think prior to Stella Gets a New Brain that the Supercharger was seen oftentimes as a useless doorstop to 2600 collectors who might have only had one or two tapes for it, if that. But I'd like to think that it's become mandatory equipment for most 2600 fans by now.

Also...there are things you can do with a cartridge that you just can't
easily do with Supercharger multi-load format.

I agree. I was just saying that Lode Runner would be a good candidate for Supercharger loads because the game progresses from level to level in a linear fashion. The main game engine would only need to be able to accommodate one level at a time, which should fit into the 6K footprint pretty well.

From looking at the sourcecode of Solaris, in contrast, that game seems to bank switch constantly. That game would not be doable in a Supercharger multiload.

BTW, Lode Runner has been talked about before on the list as a good title for the Supercharger.

-