Re: [stella] Jumpman gets a go!

Subject: Re: [stella] Jumpman gets a go!
From: Rob <kudla@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 00:05:54 -0500
At 06:36 PM 2/11/01 -0800, Glenn Saunders wrote:
>Realistically speaking, I think the Supercharger is the most practical
>format for a Jumpman/Lode Runner type game (what's the difference between
>Jumpman and Lode Runner anyway?  I've only ever played Lode Runner).

Jumpman is more arcade-style and Lode Runner more strategic.

In Lode Runner you run around a mineshaft with ladders, digging holes Space
Panic style to kill the men chasing you in order to reach a goal, with the
only variation in play being level design.  I don't even think it kept
score, though I know there was an arcade version which probably did.

In Jumpman you're running around a bunch of disembodied girders with
ladders, chains and ropes, defusing (touching) bombs before the bonus runs
out and you're faced with a different gimmick (falling bombs, disappearing
floors, etc.) on each level.  It's a slightly more complicated game, but
not as crafty.  It had the greater effect on me, though, since I've been
constantly playing Gameboy Donkey Kong lately which is almost a Jumpman
rip-off (run and jump game with 100 progressively more puzzle-oriented
screens involving collecting items and a new gimmick on every level.)

>The only problem with that is you can't make carts.  If you wanted
>something physical it would have to be on CD and then you'd be limited to
>99 levels.  A level editor, however, could be done on the PC side which

99 loads, not 99 levels.  I think a Lode Runner game for the 2600 (if it
could be done) could fit a couple levels into each load.  Done on the
Supercharger, I think you could probably do two Jumpman levels per load
too.  But the Commodore versions I remember only had something like 50
levels (Lode Runner) and 30 levels (Jumpman) anyway.

Rob

kudla@xxxxxxxxx ... http://kudla.org/raindog ... Rob

-