Re: [stella] Hello, I'm new to the mailing list

From: Manuel Polik <manuel.polik@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 09:51:05 +0100
Ghislain wrote:

Hi Ghislain, welcome on board!

> So for my hockey game, this is how the graphics will go:

> PF0, PF1, PF2 - the hockey rink and the nets.
> P0, P1 - the center players.
> M0, M1 - the goalies (the missile sprites will look like the paddles in
> pong)
> BL - the puck, of course.

Sounds quite doable so far.

> So when the puck goes inside the net, the program will have to detect the
> position of the puck and also take in to account the direction of the puck

I'd say - in this case: Just forget about collision detection.
You know the coordinates of the puck, you know the coordinates of your
net, just calculate if the puck is in or not. Whith clever use of an
offset table, you can even calculate if it's within a round shape, for
example:

***   	-> 0
  **   	-> 2
   **  	-> 3
   **  	-> 3
   **  	-> 3

Of course you don't need to do the zeros, but the general idea should be
clear now, hopefully :-)

Greetings,
	Manuel

-