[stella] Gas gauge - revisited

Subject: [stella] Gas gauge - revisited
From: Joe Grand <jgrand@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 23:53:02 -0500
As recommended by Piero, I got a very basic "gas gauge" working with playfield graphics only. This was very easy and hopefully I'll be able to work the timing into my actual game.

I am trying to make the gauge two-color (e.g. red underneath and green for the actual "time remaining"). With playfield graphics only, I was thinking of just drawing the red data on one frame and the green data on the next frame and alternate that way - I wouldn't assume the eye would see a flicker. I started to try this on the airplane last night but my battery died before I could finish. Is this worth pursuing, or would there be an easier way?

The gauge doesn't have to have very high-resolution, but it would be nice if it was a little higher than standard playfield graphics. I'm using both P0 and P1 to draw the "SCSISIDE" logo on the same lines that I hope to have the gauge. Maybe I could use playfield graphics for the red and draw the green data "on top" using missle?

Although not currently very exciting, I will post source of my playfield graphics (which is just a modified version of J.V. "Matt" Matthews demo of asymmetric playfield drawing from October 1996) if people are interested (I can't do it now since it is on my laptop which isn't with me)

Thanks in advance for the help. :)

Joe

- Archives (includes files) at http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/archives/ Unsub & more at http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/