Re: [stella] Gunfight 2600: Little progress...

Subject: Re: [stella] Gunfight 2600: Little progress...
From: Glenn Saunders <cybpunks@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 09:17:00 -0800
At 11:08 AM 3/14/2001 +0100, you wrote:
You see, he uses 22 bytes for the first sprite, another 11 for every additional one.

That's just one example of sprite multiplexing. Consider that Solaris doesn't have RAM in the cart and they are considerably more complicated than your game is likely to be. Bob has the Solaris sourcecode up on his site so you can compare how that game does it.

I don't think Stargate is a superchip game either and it has plenty of objects on screen at once.

Where there is a will, there is a way.

If you user your sprite mutiplexer throughout the game for objects other than the bullets, the RAM overhead will surely pay off. If you intend to have a playfield bitmap then it might take too much away from that.

But you do have to realize that by having the players be on the same horizontal you are forcing yourself into some of these compromises that probably wouldn't happen with the vertical orientation, especially if your game prevents those players from ever flickering.

A good example of a player vs. player game in a vertical orientation would be Demons to Diamonds. Because of the enforced vertical separation you can have all sorts of obstacles between the players without flicker. That's why I thought that would be the best compromise you could make in order to preserve a flickerless aesthetic.

-