W.: RE: [stella] Super Fast Scrolling

Subject: W.: RE: [stella] Super Fast Scrolling
From: cybergoth@xxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 15:31:01 +0200 (CEST)
Hi Rob!

> I think as long as you update them often
> enough that the eye only detects
> the minimum possible 4-pixel jump (allowing
> you to scroll a screen
> completely in about 2 seconds) you'll be fine.
> Jumping two playfield
> pixels (8 regular pixels, 1/20th of the
> screen) per frame would start to
> get choppy but hopefully in a game that
> scrolled that fast, the player
> wouldn't have time to notice ;)

That's one thing I don't get...

We've a horizontal resolution of 160 pixles, right? PF0-PF2 give you a PF resolution of 20 Bits. 160/20 is 8 Pixel for one playfield bit.
This would go along with my theory that one needs 6 lines for a rectangular PF block, because the screen resolution is 4:3, causing such a block to be 8:6 pixels, but though being perfectly rectangular, or?

Now, how do you make a 4-pixel jump if one PF bit is 8 pixels wide? Is this a special trick?

Greetings,
     Manuel

-