Re: Aw: Re: [stella] Dungeons

Subject: Re: Aw: Re: [stella] Dungeons
From: Glenn Saunders <cybpunks@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 22:18:29 -0700
At 03:55 PM 4/24/2001 +0200, you wrote:
Hm... might be, ok. It really is just my point.
I really think it is cheating to simply shifting a game to the Supercharger that'd normally need 500 Bytes of RAM. Instead of solving the problem, you're sneaking away from it, in other words: cheating. The challenge is to make it run with 128 Bytes anyway.

As much as I love the 2600, I think it's really naive to think that any and all game designs translate into 4K ROM and 128 bytes RAM.

Innovation only can go so far.

If constraints are what you are after, you've got to come up with a game design that realistically fits into those constraints, otherwise you're just setting yourself up for disappointment. Like trying to shoot Star Wars on a Blair Witch budget.

And if the Supercharger makes 2600 programming so easy, I think by now we would have seen a finished game for it come out from this list. It certainly requires knowledge and skills that exceed standard VCS coding, therefore providing plenty of challenge in and of itself.

As for cartridges, there are hundreds of thousands of games that have been written for non-cartridge systems. All the home computer games on floppy disks and cassettes, for instance, or today's games on CD, GD, and DVD ROM. Perhaps they don't have the perceived permanence of a ROM chip, but they are all indeed finished products with their own packaging and such, which could just as easily be done for a SC game for the 2600.

-