Re: [stella] Emulating the SC

Subject: Re: [stella] Emulating the SC
From: Erik Mooney <erik@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 09 May 2001 00:06:06 -0400
>>Out of curiosity (and please forgive my laziness), what emulators fully
>>support the SC?  That is, allow you to write to all the RAM addresses the SC
>>supports, invoke multiloads, etc?  Essentially the SC is one giant stick o'
>>RAM once you get a load in, right?  Every address is up for grabs?

That's correct, except that you have to use the Supercharger RAM write
mechanism, not a straight STA $F000, because the read/write address line
is not at the cart port.  Someone else can better fill you in on the
details if you need.

>I don't think you can address all 6K at once linearly because the 2600
>prevents that.  I think you only have access to two of the three 2K banks
>at a time but you should be able to shuffle them as you like just as any

Correct, plus you can also have one 2K RAM bank along with the 2K ROM.

>banked ROM does, but with the added plus of being able to write back to any
>of that memory (which we know comes in very handy for things like
>self-modifying code or pseudo bitmaps).
>
>Also, I believe that with multiloads you can decide where and how much RAM
>you want to overwrite, down to individual 256 byte chunks, right?

I think so too, though I'm not the SC expert around here.

-