Re: [stella] Pal & NTSC switch

Subject: Re: [stella] Pal & NTSC switch
From: "Christopher Rydberg" <solitaire0@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 04:34:25 -0000

Hey,

My NTSC/PAL question is more one of hardware. That is to say. If one was to build an Atari 2600 anew and wanted to build it in such a way that it could play either Pal or NTSC games on the screen it's attached to, is there a cost-effective way to build a switch for the system?

Christopher Rydberg solitaire0@xxxxxxxxxxx afterlife.terrashare.com

P.S.-Anyone who sent me mails at the leishengwen@xxxxxxxxxxx should know that I did not recieve them. Seednet, the company that hosts that web based mail service, had a huge 40+ hour blaze in their Shijr building and a large percentage of their servers were destroyed. I rebuilt the site to direct to my personal account and their should no longer be a problem. Sorry for the trouble.

Hey,

 I remember a classic console that used some sort of hardwired switch
that switched it between Pal and NTSC compatibility.  I think it was the
Tele-Spiel, but the memory is foggy at best.  Can anyone help on this or
maybe provide a schematic for a super low cost and space conscious
Pal/NTSC switch.  Spray me a mail or two if you can help.

The cool thing about the 2600 is that it inherently PAL/NTSC
compliant.  There are no territorial lockouts.  So you can have individual
games that can switch between PAL and NTSC via the timing of their
kernels.  Oystron is the only one I know of that does this, unfortunately.

BTW, isn't it true that not all 128 colors can be used on PAL 2600s?  Don't
some of the colors duplicate themselves?

-