Re: [stella] Euchre

Subject: Re: [stella] Euchre
From: Manuel Polik <cybergoth@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2001 23:35:09 +0200
"Erik J. Eid" schrieb:

> I suppose you can blame part of it on what normally happens during summers,
> with more trips, social events, walks in the park, movies, and all such
> things taking place.

Exactly this was killing all my computer activities for weeks now :-)
(My excuse goes especially to Joe, I'm just not able at the moment to
look through his code, when it's 30+ degrees day by day...)

> I started work on developing a bidding strategy for the computer
> players.

Uhm, you could do me a favor and explain the rules for 'Euchre'. Being
from Germany I must admit that I never heard of it. Maybe you can
provide a link to its rules?

> artificial intelligence in their games.  My hat is off (if I wore one) to
> the programmers who created Video Chess, Video Checkers, Backgammon,
> Bridge, and other similar games.

Definitely. I think these board/card game intelligence things are one of
the hardest tasks to programm on any machine. (Except from the path
finding routines of the harvesters in comand & conquer it seems, hehe
:-))

> I won't claim that the bidding strategy is correct.  It seems to me that
> the computer orders up the turned-up card a lot more than I would.  Since I
> can't see the computer players' hands, I may be wrong.

For the testing you cheat here of course? I'm mean, you can just
*assume* that the AI is doing something intelligent?

> I also discovered that DASM is more than happy to compile code in which the
> destination of a BEQ is more than 128 bytes away.

Hm... now I read it before, that people had these troubles with DASM.
Makes me wonder, since I'm damn sure that I had it displaying 'Branch
Out Of Reach' errors several times.
What am I doing wrong? :-)

> I don't have an immediate problem for you to solve this time
> around.  :)  However, any advice is welcome and appreciated.

Nothing special at the moment. I think I need to know how the game works
first :-)

Greetings,
	Manuel

-