Re: [stella] Infogrames considers Atari 2600 B-Side release!

Subject: Re: [stella] Infogrames considers Atari 2600 B-Side release!
From: "Glenn Saunders" <cybpunks@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2001 17:10:01 -0700
"They had box art and did a nice way of scrolling that information."

Packaging (beyond the box) is a lost art. Look at the stuff that came with some of the Activision games like Pitfall/II, or the booklets in the original Wing Commander, or the stuff that came with Zork.

The original Atari manuals (the thin ones) were the best, I think. Very easy to read and the iconography made the instructions easy to understand for even young kids. These days game companies assume a lot of knowledge on the part of gamers. Most PC manuals spend most of their time addressing PC driver/incompatibility troubleshooting rather than how to play the damn games.

I remember when Atari Corp first switched to Greyscale on their Atari 2600 and 7800 manuals and it was a real signal that times had changed.

These days you are lucky if your manual is in color--including the cover.