[stella] Euchre: making a choice

Subject: [stella] Euchre: making a choice
From: "Erik J. Eid" <eeid@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2001 19:30:07 -0400
I am pondering how to best present a set of choices to the player, and inform the player of the computer's choices, in the second round of bidding.

In the first round, when it is a computer player's turn, you first see the player's "name" (West, North, or East), then the player's choice (Pass, Call, or Alone). When it is the human player's turn, you use the paddle to choose between Pass, Call, and Alone.

I am faced with a couple of different options as to how to deal with the second round.

For the computer player, after showing the player's "name", the game could either:
- show Pass, Call, or Alone [just as in the first round], then after a pause, show the selected trump suit (if the player did not pass)
- show only one message, either Pass, Trump-Hearts, Trump-Diamonds, Trump-Clubs, Trump-Spades, Alone-Hearts, Alone-Diamonds, Alone-Clubs, or Alone-Spades

For the human player, the game could either:
- have the player use the paddle to select Pass, Call, or Alone [just as in the first round], and then select a trump suit (if the player did not pass)
- have the player use the paddle to select Pass, Trump-Hearts, Trump-Diamonds, Trump-Clubs, Trump-Spades, Alone-Hearts, Alone-Diamonds, Alone-Clubs, or Alone-Spades

Basically, the choice comes down to whether I want the player to see two messages per computer player and make two selections to bid or to see one message per computer player and make one selection to bid.

Which do you think is the better option?

- Archives (includes files) at http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/archives/ Unsub & more at http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/