Re: [stella] Syncing without WSYNC

Subject: Re: [stella] Syncing without WSYNC
From: "B. Watson" <atari@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 09:34:54 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 31 Aug 2001, Chris Wilkson wrote:

> WHAHAHAHA!!!!!  There's never any end!  Ok, ok...I've been hacking on the
> interlaced video thing again, so I'm a bit crazed at the moment.  But I
> did manage to get both Field 0 and Field 1 to be recognizable.  (Anyone
> who starts with "How to Draw a Playfield" is only seeing Field 1.)  I
> just haven't gotten the pair to interlace yet.
>
> -Chris

That's something I've always wondered about: NTSC (and PAL?) standard says
30 interlaced frames/second, but the 2600 (and the 800, and the commodores,
etc.) instead draw 60 frames, non-interlaced.. so why don't TV stations
switch into that mode during the weather section on the news? I haven't
actually watched any TV in maybe 10 years (except movies), but when I did
watch it, I always noticed how horrible the weather map graphics looked,
even compared to the graphics on an Atari 800... Of course, they had a
blue-screen setup with a weatherman superimposed, which I couldn't do on
my Atari, but still... I'd trade the (apparent) resolution of interlaced
video for the stable picture of non-interlaced, any day.

I guess I should mention here, that I really don't understand how a TV
signal works. Just in case it wasn't obvious from the paragraph above :)

B.

---

If a trainstation is the place where trains stop, what is a workstation?

-