[stella] EPROMs

Subject: [stella] EPROMs
From: "B. Watson" <atari@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2001 18:51:38 -0400 (EDT)
Well, I just got back from the Hamfest in Shelby, North Carolina.. Among
other things I picked up an EPROM programmer with a 28-pin ZIF socket,
that can program 2700-series EPROMs. Unfortunately, the guy didn't have
any EPROMs left, but I did find another guy who had some.

Now, I freely admit, I don't know the slightest thing about EPROMs, so
don't laugh if this sounds like a stoopid question, but..

2 of the chips I got are labelled `M2732AFI 21V Fast', and appear to be
brand new. Are these things fully compatible with the standard 2732? I'm
assuming that EPROMs are like RAM, and will run just fine at a slower
speed than they are rated, but what about the programming voltage/timings?

The rest of the chips I got are 27C128's. I assume the C means CMOS. I
haven't yet found a data sheet for these, but somebody on this list can
probably give me the short answer: Will these 27C128's (a) work in a
programmer designed for regular 27xx series, and (b) assuming I get them
programmed, will they work in a 2600 cartridge? (Yes, I have 74xx inverters)

If I were dealing with modern PC hardware, I'd just take the `try it and
buy another if you fry it' approach (aka `learning by burning'), but 2600
consoles are getting hard to come by these days, so I'll the people who
know...

Anyway, if worst comes to worst, I have got one regular old 2732 I can
use... and the Hamfest trip was a blast, even though I'm not really into
ham radio.

Brian

---

If a trainstation is the place where trains stop, what is a workstation?

-