Re: [stella] EPROMs

Subject: Re: [stella] EPROMs
From: Chris Wilkson <ecwilkso@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2001 23:23:25 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 3 Sep 2001, B. Watson wrote:

> The 2732 chips have an ST logo, which according to the manual stands for
> SGS-Thomas. The full part number is M2732AFI, you said ignore the FI so I'll

SGS-Thompson.  They call themselves STMicroelectronics these days.  Yes, this
is a 2732A.

> I'd like to at least try making my own cartridge board, but I will probably
> end up buying some from you anyway (my hardware skills are not what they
> used to be, due to bad vision and the onset of carpal tunnel)... I was

Suck.  Every once in a while I have a flare up.  Usually after writing some
evil humanities paper.  :P As I mentioned before, the boards come in a
variety of flavors, but $6.50 is a good estimate of the price.  Building
one's own boards is a good experience.  Be careful how you do it if you
want to run more than one format.  For example, a 16K board won't run a 8k
game because of accidental bankswitches.  Likewise 32k boards won't run 16k
or 8k games.  It is possible to do it all on the same board.  Mine do it for
instance.  You just need to think it all out in advance.

> have to figure out how to mount the inverter (maybe hot-glue it upside
> down to the board?)...

That's a good way to do it.

> > > buy another if you fry it' approach (aka `learning by burning'), but 2600
> > > consoles are getting hard to come by these days, so I'll the people who

Sad, isn't it?

> I've already got one dead 2600. I'm not sure it ever worked, it was packed
> up in a crate for 10 years until 2-3 weeks ago. I had 3 of them, one worked
> great, one (a 6-switch) was flaky until I reseated the chips, and one was
> DOA. I wish I could lay hands on a working 2600jr, for some reason I'd feel
> less bad if I blew one of those up.

Hmmm.  Sounds like a dead RF modulator.  Try a part swap.

> Anyway, about the cartridge boards, how much do you sell them for, and do
> they just take a 27C128 in a socket, with no pin-bending? That's the main
> drawback to using an old Combat board, it looks like (the /CE pin will
> eventually break).

Yep, they'll just drop right in.  I use a ZIF socket myself.  And yes, the
27c256 also drops right in.  :)  About $6.50 per board depending on the
options you select.

-Chris

-