Re: [stella] OT: Codecs

Subject: Re: [stella] OT: Codecs
From: "nj bloodline" <njbl00dline@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2001 00:10:13 -0400
> I haven't tried any DivX encoders so I am not qualified to judge it vs.
> others.  But I have seen one movie online on DivX (American Beauty) and it
> had a dithered look to it, which was more acceptable to me than the
typical
> blocky JPEG artefacting associated with MPEG and MJPEG-based codecs.

Well, most of the DiVx I've seen have a blurry look when fast motion comes
on the video, and sometimes dithered look. All of the MPG stuff I've seen is
excellant.. almost perfectly clear. I have an AMD Athlon 750MHz, 224MB of
RAM, 7200RPM hard drives, and a 32MB video card, so I've got all fast
componants in my system.

> The new DVD+RW drives will be able to record video directly, analog to
> digital, onto the drives, in realtime.  That looks like it will become the
> format of the future for high quality consumer video.

That sounds really nice. Someone I know tried a beta version of Windows
Whistler (it's not called Windows XP) and it had an option in Windows
Explorer that said "Send To CD" which looks like you will be able to burn
directly from Windows to CD without the use of an addon program such as
CDRWIN or Nero, etc.

> >On the other hand, DiVx isn't even a standard.
>
> Popularity has a way of deciding standards regardless of what standards
> bodies dictate.

Sure, but DiVx never caught on and I don't see to many DVD players
supporting it. DiVX came out, I remember seeing it on TV and you purchased
the movies for like $5 or so.. sounded great, new movies for $5, but then it
said that was for one viewing or so and if you wanted unlimited you had to
buy it for like $15 or $20 more and you get a code to unlock it.

-