Re: [stella] compiler?

Subject: Re: [stella] compiler?
From: Ben Larson <wazzapfool@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 11:47:11 -0700 (PDT)
Actually I'm not sure how it could be done with a
pre-existing C compiler.  I mean, the compiler itself
has to have knowledge of the basic framework a 2600
program would need to take so it can generate the
appropriate skeleton code which would include the
display kernel and basically everything except the
game calculation logic, RAM variable declarations, and
ROM bitmap and color information.  The display kernel,
like I said earlier, would have to be pre-developed
beforehand and basically hardcoded into the compiler
to be able to handle a certain number of sprites, say
8, using an 'intelligent flicker' algorithm.

Then, the user's actual program would comprise the
code generated in the game logic section (obviously
the code to handle the flicker algorithm would be here
too), as well as the RAM and ROM declarations.

Ben