Re: Ten digit playfield routine, was: [stella] 20 columns ofalmost-readable text

Subject: Re: Ten digit playfield routine, was: [stella] 20 columns ofalmost-readable text
From: "B. Watson" <atari@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2001 16:39:34 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 14 Sep 2001, Jake Patterson wrote:

> Well, I guess I had similar ideas for how to cope... you managed to outdo
> my efforts, however.  All I came up with is a ten digit numerical
> playfield routine.  There is no flicker, but it is interlaced in more or
> less the same way as the scores in Space Invaders.  It simply displays the
> even placed digits on even scanlines and the odd placed digits on odd scan
> lines.  I set it up to count frames like an odometer. It could probably
> be adapted to alphanumerics fairly easily.  There is enough time left over
> to read a color for each pair of scan lines from a table.  The digit
> bitmaps are also read from a table, 205 byts of ROM for the tables, plus
> considerably more for the code, since the kernel is partially unwrapped.

Don't know if I'd say mine `outdoes' yours... if I had to guess, I'd say
at least 9 out of 10 random video game players would say yours is a lot easier
to read :)

You know, I've played 2600 Space Invaders for years, and never noticed that
the player scores were offset from each other by a scanline, until I started
learning to write 2600 code...

Brian

---

If a trainstation is the place where trains stop, what is a workstation?

-