Re: [stella] Adventures in cart building

Subject: Re: [stella] Adventures in cart building
From: Kevin Horton <khorton@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 21:15:22 -0500
At 13:46 9/10/01 -0400, you wrote:

The PIC is useful, but you can learn to use them in an afternoon.  After that,
where is the fun?  The only challenge is finding a project to work on.  You'll
never run out of challenge trying to write for the 2600.  :P

The PIC is one of the best processors I've used, and it has been incorporated into lots of projects. I think they are pretty useful and the price can't be beat. I recently used one in a handheld SID player to emulate the C64's 6510, the 6526 CIA, and bankswitching, as well as run the user interface and play digi samples. The final version has been assembled, but I'm waiting on a keypad to finish it off, so I haven't taken pictures yet. The PCB fits into the case perfect, and it worked the first time. I will post an update once pictures are up.

http://tripoint.org/kevtris/Projects/sid/sidman.html

But when I say programmable logic, I don't mean MCU or MPU.  I mean PLDs and
the like.  With a 20MHz PIC, you only get an instruction every 200ns.  That's
fast enough for something like this, but it's pushing it.  PLDs can be had
with ahhh..."response times" of < 5ns.  (I'm grouping everything into a
generic "response" that basically has no real meaning.)
And they're cheap.  Sorta.

I still want to do the FPGA TIA "emulator" just for the fun of it, and to see if it can be done. Also, I wanted to improve on the TIA's design a bit to output RGB, and to get rid of those ugly hmov lines. It may be possible to integrate some flicker filtering to reduce the effects of flicker on multiplexed objects.

- Archives (includes files) at http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/archives/ Unsub & more at http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/